• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

New Member: Christopher Laney

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSkyByway

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm a writer working on a novel featuring a vintage biplane. I'm excited to tap into a knowledgeable community, one I hope will be open to guiding me occasionally so I get my facts straight.

I've been a pilot since 2005 but have never owned a biplane. Biplanes made appearances in my first novel, but only to the extent that I needed to give brief physical descriptions. In this novel, the main character is forced to put the biplane down in a field due to engine trouble. He'll be stranded for a while as he figures out how to repair it. Since that part of the story will take place in the pre-internet era, he has to track down parts the old-fashioned way. I want to ensure anything I write about repairing the biplane is accurate.

I'm also looking for a good biplane candidate for this story. Something other than a Stearman or Eaglerock, as those two were in the first novel.

My initial thoughts about the biplane that will work for the story are:
  • Manufactured in 1935, +/- 2 or 3 years.
  • Open cockpit with two tandem seats.
  • Well-suited for aerobatics.
  • An exceptional beauty of a biplane. They are all beautiful in their own way, but one that is unique and could potentially make a non-pilot do a doubletake if he or she saw it in a lineup of biplanes.
  • Something many of you would nab in a heartbeat if money were no object.
Also, any advice as to whether I should post this biplane-candidate question in a different thread or simply leave it here? If a different thread, does anyone have suggestions on which one is best? I'm thinking Hangar Talk, but please let me know if there's a more appropriate one. Once I figure out the biplane type, it should be easier to know where to post.

Thank you!
Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back