• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

8.50 x 6 Desser Smooth Tundra tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going with 8.50 x 6 tires for the extra height and also I'm using larger wheel pants (think GeeBee, Stearman, Waco etc.) so a larger tire is needed. I already have new 6" Matco wheels and brakes so I'm stuck with 6" and the 8.50 x 6 seems to be the tallest tires. I had 8.00 x 6 with the old smaller wheel pants and want bigger. Anyway...the size is pretty set so my question is has anyone used the Desser 22/8.50 x 6 "Tundra" Smooth tread tires? I have never used Smooth tires but see a lot of the old Wacos etc use the Smooth tires. These Desser tires are marketed as "tundra" but they are a FAA approved tire also. 1600lb load rating per tire. 120mph. (My plane will be about 1500lbs empty and 2400lbs max gross weight. What has drawn me to these tires are they fact that they are less than 10lbs each (where. Recap 8.50 x 6 is 19lbs EACH).
What's your thoughts? Think these would be a good tire for a Starduster Too? I'm ok with having to replace more often. (Id like to get a couple years out them, 100-150hrs) I will use grass when I can but will be based on concrete. IMG_4992.jpg
Description:
850-6 4 PLY AERO CLASSIC SMOOTH TUNDRA TIRE TUBE TYPE

New Aero Classic Tundra 22 x 8.50-6 4 Ply

Check out our new larger companion tire to our 21 x 8.00-6 4 Ply.

Our "Pillow Soft" 22 x 8.50-6 4 Ply stands 22 inches tall and weighs in "featherlight" at under 10 lbs. Compare that to a standard 850-6 6 Ply which average 15 lbs. each.

The load rating is 1,600 lbs. per tire. Tube Type

Please keep your eyes peeled for future additions to the Aero Classic Tundra line.

***FAA APPROVED VERSION - TSO-c62e

SKU: 850-6 4 PLY

AERO CLASS SKU's: AA4K5

Latest posts

Back