• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Acrosport 1 propeller pitch with O-290-D2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CXdriver

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hi All

I have an Acrosport 1 which is fitted with an O-290-D2 engine. I currently have a Sensenich 74DM6-0-52 prop fitted and I am finding that my cruise performance is pretty poor. I am only getting 100mph at between 2,350 and 2,400 rpm! I am getting good take-off performance and it climbs at 1,200fmp at 80mph indicated (as would be expected with a 52 prop).

The engine has recently been rebuilt and runs very well indeed. It has a tendency to reach red line immediately after take-off if I get the aircraft into ground effect and let it accelerate above 90mph. As a result of this, I find I need to throttle back to keep the RPM below red line on 99% of my departures.

I am considering re-pitching my current prop or putting a 74DM6-0-54 prop on my machine.

I would be happy to sacrifice some take-off/climb performance if I could get a few more MPH from my machine. I am also guessing I will get increased fuel economy/less engine wear due to lower cruise RPM.

The question is, does anybody out there have any experience of operating the O-290-D2 powered Acrosport 1 and what prop would you recommend? What cruise, climb and take-off performance are you getting from that engine(O-290)/prop combination?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

J

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back