• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

AcroSport wing fairing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In looking through the plans I cannot find any reference to the fairing material used to cover the intersection between the center section and outer wing so, questions
1) What thickness and grade of material ?
I found 2024T3 x .016x12"x12' used for leading edge material but .016 seems a little thin to me ?
2) Is it permissible to have a butt joint on the top of the wing ?
I ask this only if .016 is to thin and I need to go to thicker material as it would save me from having to purchase a full 4'x8' sheet for these fairings as they are 4" wide x 78" in length

And finally, several years ago at Oshkosh I saw this same fairing installed with no visible fasteners along the edges. I posted this same question here about how? Someone replied and even sent a photo or drawing on how it was done. Somehow I have lost that information :( I vaguely remember a bolt accessed through a hole at the trailing edge that was attached to a flange that pulled the fairing tight around the wing ??

If someone could refresh my memory I promise to have it tattooed to my forearm - - my wife can remind me where I put it . . .
Thank you

Latest posts

Back