• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Advice on the use of Steen plans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pylon80

Reaction score
Hi all,

After some research, I finally decided to build a Pitts S1!

I chose the S1C plans ("CAD version") from Steen Aero Lab. These plans feature an increased lower span, similar to a S1D or S1S, compared to the old S1C's. Also the ailerons are longer than those on a S1D (they start at rib #3). So far, so good.

Just as I received my plans, I was able to borrow old photocopies of original S1D drawing (from Pitts Enterprise) from a friend. They are scaled down copies and low quality but they still enabled me to review the differences compared to the Steen plans.

Well, they are quite a few differences! Overall, the Steen plans seem less accurate and I found a few omissions and mistakes on top of differences in the basic structure (ribs for instance).

I was wondering if anyone had built from the Steen plans, or knew of someone who did, or knew of a S1 that had been built from these. I can certainly correct whatever mistake I see, using judgement and the copies of S1D plans, but it leave me wondering about the errors I may not find! Advice anyone?

Note: This will be my first build...maybe not a great time to start re-designing the whole airplane! Also, M6 (flat) airfoil and only 2 ailerons is what I want. I am aware that Aviat are selling their S1S plans :)

Latest posts

Back