• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Almost tail wheel failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle-Mike

Reaction score
For most of you, who are experienced homebuilders it is probably not very new, but just to share my experience.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
My Eagle (bought it last autumn) is equipped with a Haigh locking tail wheel, which is a very sturdy construction. But the tube of the tail wheel assembly which fits over the spring rod is only held by a small #3 bolt. During roll out, when unlocking the tail wheel I noticed a yaw left tendency even at very low speeds and this tendency became worse during the last weeks. A closer look to the assembly showed that it was a little tilted to the left side, it could be turned a few degrees by hand and the tail wheel already showed asymmetrical wear. Because there was an accident with a microlight due to a broken bolt on the main gear at our airfield a few days before and having the damage of dcrowe1 ASII in mind, I decided to remove the bolt and found it to be considerably damaged.

The shear zone was developed very clearly. The bolt may have lasted another 100 landings or only one more. I replaced it quickly and put the bolt on the annual inspection checklist.

Mike

Sorry picture upload failed, will try again later

Latest posts

Back