• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Altimeter doing encoder duty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Lepore

Reaction score
I see a few transponders that have a built-in altitude encoder (Trig for example), and now some of the digital altimeters, like the MGL ATL-2, can also output the altitude encoding without the need for a separate box.

Perhaps I'm out of step with instrumentation fascination, but to me the fewer gauges, holes and boxes in a Pitts panel the better, and I could care less if a electrical powered instrument or radio quit while I was flying.

Airspeed? I've flown home and landed with one stuck on "0", no biggie.
Altimeter? My transponder will give altitude and if that quits it doesn't matter, I'm VFR.
Oil pressure or oil temp? Whatever, if everything was normal before they quit, unlikely the trip home will have any event. Beats having a line that can leak or break routed into the cockpit.
Tach? Doesn't matter, cross ref with airspeed maybe.
Compass? Ha, ha, which reminds me, I'd better print out a compass correction card for my non-existent compass, 'cause it's on the getting-ramped checklist.

But I digress....anybody try a digital electronic altimeter, and dumped their encoder?

Latest posts

Back