• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Another Pitts S1-11B

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am looking to build a pitts S1-11B or a S1 and would like some solid advice on where to find IO-540 or IO-360 engines and a kit for the air frame. I saw a plane on here where someone also managed to install clear panels on the floor which was awesome. I am not super thrilled about the prospects of building a plane up but I have been looking on barn stormers and other various sites and alot of the pitts I see are run out or beat up (I have been told anything more than 600 hrs on a acrobatic engine is in need of a core change out or a certified rebuild because of the torque put on the engine in aerobatic flight), either that or they are sky high expensive.

I have concerns about building up an air frame and then not being able to find a suitable engine, should I start by finding the engine and prop combination that I want first and storing it and then start working on the air frame. I called air power and they want ALOT of money for a new engine if you dont have a core to trade in and cores for a IO-540 are like 8500 plus another 30k for a new rebuilt one but I have seen ones on trade a plane for like 24k but they did not list total time so I assume there is a reason for the low price. I would also be happy with a 200+ hp IO-360 with the appropriate air frame.

I am wondering if good deals on motors are really real and if building up a plane is a smart thing to do and will actually save me money or if I should just finish out my licence and wait 3 or so years until I have the money saved to buy what I want in cherry condition or even have one special built with a new rebuilt engine.

A little humor - it seems like it takes some back room dealing to get good deals on engines that are in good shape. I figure it will either take me 3 years to build a plane up or 3 years to save the money lol.

Building it up would be cool because then I could get exactly what I want between thoes clear panels on the undercarriage combined with a high hp engine and the color scheme and hopefully save a non trivial amount of money by doing alot of my own work. I dont have any experience so I would be learning as I go along, my job is engineering so im not worried about figuring things out.

Once I have a cherry pitts in the hangar ready to go I will fly to arizona to get duel time in a pitts, also thinking about installing a camera in the pitts so I can see what the heck im doing when I land, maybe like a little heads up display.

does everyone else have the same struggles, should I basicly just save like 70 grand and then start thinking about this?

Hoping I can pull this off before I run out of time (ie die).

Latest posts

Back