• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

ANR headset for the S2B

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Lightspeed Zulu PFX and the Bose A20 ANR headsets for my S2B. Does anyone have any experience with either of these models? I flew with Bill Thomas many years ago; his Bose ANR did not seem to make much difference on/off, at least to my ears. Technology has progressed, though. I flew in a Lake Buccaneer last week with A20’s and the difference on/off was astounding :).

Comments I've found online seem to refer to the failure of any ANR to work in an open cockpit. I tried a Telex ANR, 20 yrs ago, in my Stearman, and it failed to reduce noise. This makes sense: the random fluctuation of wind noise, in the open cockpit, would defeat any wave analysis looking for regularity or patterns. W/o regularity, there would be no way for any anti-wave to cancel the sound, unless the speed of the analysis exceeded the speed of wave propagation. Since one commenter said his A20's failed, it would seem that analysis is not yet fast enough to counter wind noise.

The S2B is just as noisy as the Stearman, but with the Pitts canopy, hopefully wind noise would not buggerup the ANR program. But...the additional problem with the Stearman was that the Telex ANR would toggle on/off with fluctuations in noise, making it impossible to make sense of radio communications. I suspect this was a safety device - if the sounds get too loud, the anti-wave generated by the ANR might blow out your eardrums if it got in-phase due to a random event. Can current ANR deal with non-wind fluctuations? Would these be problematic in the S2B?

Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back