• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Antiques...belts and harnesses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm soon going to be needing to replace the belts in the restoration I'm working on and would like to hear from those that have been down this road in a certified antique airplane. I know there are a couple men here that have done many.

Currently, the rear pit has good hardware that could probably just be re-webbed. I have no strong opinion on replacing or re-webbing. The front pit has one long lap belt for up to two occupants. The belt currently installed has a Cessna latch and looks pretty odd in an old biplane. It's not staying.

I STRONGLY want to install front cockpit shoulder harness(es). If I could do anything I wanted, I'd have two attach points in the front cockpit above the shoulders. I think that would allow latching in one strap per shoulder for a single occupant, or two Y harnesses for two occupants.

I wouldn't have a question if this were on my experimental, but I'm a newb with certified. I've read the FAA advisory circular and some associated publications. Though I feel the general attitude is favorable towards promoting shoulder harnesses, I do have questions.

Generally, if you guys have been down this road, what manufacture of belts did you use? What route did you use for approval? Did you weld on the structure or use a simple cable looped to a sensible location?

I'm not into this yet but want to get an idea what I'll be facing ahead. I would like my children to have the opportunity to ride along but that will not happen if they aren't secured by more than a lap belt.

Thanks, Dan

Latest posts

Back