• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Front Shoulder Harness Support

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planebuilder

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been concerned about the lack of structural integrity in the front shoulder harness attach points. We know they need to be raised to above the shoulders, and that's easy to do. The problen I see, is that high mount point is not well supported. We run a cable aft from the rear shoulder harness to support that load, but the usual front support will just fold forward in a crash type load, kinda a false sense of security. I added a simple support to mine. I'm doing a few mods that I wasn't going to report until flight tested but I thought I would share this one for safety reasons. You can see in the pics I added 2 gussets by my shoulders in the rear pit. The front shoulder harness support cross tube is longer than normal with tabs on the ends pointing aft. I bolted on 2 - 3/16" dia. rods from the ends of the front cross tube to the aft gussets. With a crash load the shoulder harness can still bend the cross tube forward in it's middle, but I think the movement will be mush less than without the rods. The rods are sprung up and out slightly to lay along the inside of the coaming so they don't take up any apreciable room in the cockpit. The bow in the rods only uses up 1/8" of length, so in a crash they will pull straight and allow the cross tube to move forward 1/8", not bad.
DSCF8429.JPGDSCF8431.JPGDSCF8437.JPGDSCF8441.JPG

Latest posts

Back