• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

AS1 Construction Weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toobuilder

Reaction score
Admitting right up front that I do not have a set of plans (yet), I have noticed some aspects of the construction of MY airplane that I question. These are details that seem to add a lot of weight for no additional structural purpose or maintenance utility. For those familiar with these details, can you share any insight into the following:

Elevator horn access. My airplane has a steel structure welded to the fuse on both sides that has nut plates attached. The fabric is glued to this structure and a cover plate installed. Why not use a reinforced ring clued to the fabric like every other inspection hole in the airplane? And why is this port needed on BOTH sides?

Extra tubing on the rear cockpit bulkhead. In addition to the structurally required diagonal behind the seat back, there are two equally sized 5/8 vertical tubes running top to bottom. These tubes do not intersect any cluster and appear structurally indeterminate. The only thing I can think of is that they hold the battery box. By the time you add the weight of the battery box itself, this seems like an incredibly inefficient way to hold down a battery.

Fuselage sheetmetal. The whole boot cowl and cockpit opening sheetmetal is made of .032… WAY overkill. There is a SS cooling outlet panel that seems to be made of at least .025 and weighs a ton!

Rear turtledeck structure. Mine has a fwd and aft bulkhead as well as a full floor. It also appears to be made of .032 aluminum. I understand this structure adds support to the rudderpost, but mine weights 12 pounds! Seems like this could be re skinned with .020 and just break the bottom edge into a return flange instead of a whole floor.

Full plywood floor. From seat back to rudder pedals, my airplane has a full floor instead of the foot troughs I’d expect. the troughs would also remove the need for the side guards mine has (also way oversized and made of .032).

There are plenty more examples on my airplane but they seem to be builder choice and not basic structure. I appreciate any input on the above.

My thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back