• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Any interest in a short S1-C project ?

107ch

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have An S1-C that I got from a buddy. It had an O-290D on it. He put on a new pressure carb, it did not work correctly and he ennded up settting it down on a road. Dinged up the gear, a lower wing and an I strut. When I bought it he assured me it was a long fuselage...it was not. Even if I did the rebuild I am not sure I could safely test fly it. I was not planning on using the wings except for the hardware, wires. The original airworthy year was 1968. I would rather trust west systems or T-88. The rudder appears to be taller than standard. I have purchased new landing gear, a new fuel tank, and a set of plans as well. I did not take the engine, but the engine is still available. I am looking for 2000.00 which is slightly less than I have in to it, but would be open to any offers. I am located in central Wisconsin, about an hour and fifteen minute drive from Oshkosh. Shoot me a PM if interested.Thanks,
Dennis

image.jpg

skyboltone

Reaction score
What makes you think the glue used in '68 is no good? Maybe it's Resorcinol? That can be very good actually. On the other hand I sure understand your reluctance to putting money into a short fuselage unless you expect to fly the dollars off. I think, and Curtis thought, that that airplane worked best with an O-200 or C-90. Sell those heel brakes to the J cub crowd for a few hundred to help finance Matco stuff. Strenuous diet. Wood prop. Might make a nice sport plane. Don't do anything rash to the existing wings. On the other hand there have been a couple pair of C wings come up cheap lately. I dunno. It's not a lost cause for the right crazy person. :D

107ch

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
For me, I am working on a Pitts with a larger fuselage and engine . I keep moving this one around the shop, I am not about to throw anything away...I would rather see it go to someone more enthused about rebuilding it. And As such, open to any offers.Dennis

chubb.rc

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you still have this S1-C

crankyklingon

Reaction score
Please advise if this is sold, you know just to put a close on the thread...not like I need another project

107ch

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It still sits in the barn, available...

Dana

Reaction score
My wife would kill me... but... if you were local to me I'd have a hard time keeping away... but still...

Dana

Reaction score
How bad are the wings, and what happened to the engine?

chubb.rc

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please contact me I am interested in that S1-C

Latest posts