Anyone with a spare Pitts S1 seat pan?

Discussion in 'Pitts' started by AASTUNTA, Nov 7, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating:

1. Nov 7, 2018 #1

AASTUNTA

AASTUNTA

AASTUNTA

I'm in need of a recessed Pitts seat pan. I got a backpack chute and it puts me way too far forward and into the panel. And to top it off I'm 6' tall and a flat bottom seat pan with a standard seat pack makes me sit too high. I know it can only be so deep because of the torque tube but need something somewhat recessed. Seeing if anyone has one available for me to purchase.

2. Nov 7, 2018 #2

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Are you sitting on plywood or a sling-type aluminum seat?

3. Nov 7, 2018 #3

AASTUNTA

AASTUNTA

AASTUNTA

Currently its a flat bottom plywood seat, looking for a sling type aluminum or carbon pan

4. Nov 7, 2018 #4

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

The Aviat plans show the sling seat so you should be able to get one made or make it yourself. On an existing airplane you may need to use screws instead of rivets but assembly should be possible.

5. Nov 8, 2018 at 2:12 PM #5

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

Ditto, not hard to make. Of coarse, certified or E-AB may be operative?

I considered "sling" AL seat in the AD2 but figured a pan attached with screws was easier and faster to fabricate. Mine took me about half a day. On the AD2 it rested on a cross tub above the torque tube so at least there is little concern of a failure compromising it.

Jack

6. Nov 9, 2018 at 10:14 AM #6

Bond007

Bond007

Bond007

Registered Users

Chris,(smizo) here on the forum makes and sales a carbon seat pan and seat back.great stuff.
    Danny 007

7. Nov 9, 2018 at 12:52 PM #7

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

thanks Danny, I only make a carbon back panel. don't have the mold finished for the bottom yet. cant seem to find time to make that yet......

8. Nov 10, 2018 at 4:41 AM #8

Flyboyeaa

Flyboyeaa

Flyboyeaa

To busy repainting that prop I guess.....

Larry Lyons likes this.
  9. Nov 10, 2018 at 6:30 AM #9

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

You know it!

10. Nov 11, 2018 at 3:23 AM #10

N302JS

N302JS

N302JS

I made a sling for a seat pack chute in my Skybolt for the same reason of being close to the panel. At Hobby Lobby you can buy some canvas material and brass eyelets. Sew up a sling, contracted out to my mother-n-law, install the eyelets, then use 550 (or parachute) cord to lace it up. You can adjust the sling in or out with the lacing.

11. Nov 11, 2018 at 1:46 PM #11

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

A couple of comments on the use of a canvas sling;

The Pitts seat design puts the loads from the seat bottom into the forward and aft tubes of the seat frame. The two side tubes are compression members and don't bear the pilots weight directly.

I'd rather put the pilot + chute weight (times 6 for the 6G limit load) into an aluminum part. If the canvas sling fails you'll be sitting on the torque tube.

The Skybolt's seat frame may be different than the Pitts design which could make it more suitable for carrying the loads using the four bottom tubes of the fame.

12. Nov 11, 2018 at 4:58 PM #12

N302JS

N302JS

N302JS

The Skybolt seat frame is built exactly the same way as a S1 except a little bigger. I should mention that I made two slings, one for front to rear tubes, and one for side to side tubes. I'm rather light at 155 lbs plus chute weight. Have used the same slings for 19 years and have had no issues. I pull 5.5g's routinely. It may be time to make a new one, now that I think about it. If you put large hems in the edges of the sling so the eyelets can go through the hems, you will have spinal compression issues before you rip the sling. The sling is adjustable and easy to install or remove. Also, the edges of a seat pack chute will sit on the seat frame, so I'm not certain you can lower yourself a whole lot anyway. That said, The Skybolt torque tube aileron tower is between my knees and not under my butt as on the S1. I understand the concern for interfering with the torque tube, so go aluminum! The best solution is don't grow to 6'+ if you plan to own a S1.;) That is one of the reasons Lamar Steen designed the Skybolt!

13. Nov 11, 2018 at 9:19 PM #13

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Yeah, well,, too late now. I'm close to 6'5" and a little over 220# so a stock S-1 has always been a tight fit. My S-2 is short on legroom but has lots of cockpit depth so I'll use a seat pack chute. The S-1 will get a back pack chute because I have no extra headroom but I have 5" more legroom than a stock airplane.

I'd want something more rigid than a cloth and cord seat bottom if I was going to fly hard in order to keep the belts tight and my eye level as constant as possible. Back in the old days when I did fly hard loose belts were a problem without a solution and banging around under the belts was not fun.