• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tl_z_bub

Reaction score
Here's a story that may be of interest to all you weight obsessives out there.

I bought my S1 with a "plans" battery fitted. This Weighed about 12kg (26lb).

Being a fairly heavy chap I decided to change for an Oydessy PC680 which weighed 7kg (15.4lb) and then almost immediately spotted one of the new "Lithium Iron" batteries which are based on the cells made by A123.

I bought and fitted the Lithium battery 3 months ago and it's so far done about 50 starts (IO360 with B&C starter on standard 8.5:1 compression) with no problems at all.

It's rated at 620 amps and although it does not crank quite as fast as the other batteries it has always worked. The other unusual thing is that it cranks better after the first few seconds (presumably chemistry getting to work)

The really interesting bit is that the "Lithium" battery weighs 1.38kg (3 lb) - This is not a mistake, yes, 1.38kg / 3lb (!)

So by my reckoning the total weight saved is now 10kg / 23lb over the "Plans" battery.

The bad news is that the Lithium battery cost £450 (about $675). Still, that's about £45 per Kg ($30 per lb) weight loss. The only other thing I can think of that could perhaps match this for £ per KG is Salad ;)

I also think that I could save further weight from the battery mounts if I wanted - After all, the current battery is only just over 10% of the weight that the battery mount is designed for.

Has anyone else tried this ?. I'd be really interested to hear - good or bad !

Latest posts

Back