• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Best Location for the Oil Cooler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, a little back story... I wanted to get a Sky Dynamics exhaust for my eagle since it fits in the cowling with the stock oil cooler location. They didn't think it would fit my XP400's cold air sump and they weren't interested in making an exhaust that would. I still think the exhaust intended for their cold air sump would fit, but I wasn't willing to spend $1800 to find out.

So, I ended up buying a 4 into 1 exhaust from Raven. It was $300 cheaper, but it won't fit the oil cooler in the stock location. Rob said if I moved the oil cooler forward 2", the exhaust would fit. That didn't sound too bad, but then I got to wondering about relocating the oil cooler somewhere other than being connected to the cowling. My first thought was to mount it behind #4 cylinder. Its a 13 row cooler so I'm not sure if I can make that work or not. My 2nd thought would be to mount it to the firewall and run a duct from behind #4 to it. I just wonder if cooling will be as good, better, or worse? What is the best place to mount an oil cooler within a pressure cowling? Other than the fact that the oil cooler is mounted to the cowling, is the stock Eagle setup ideal? What do you Eagle drivers see on your oil temps?

Latest posts

Back