• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Breather/Inverted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a Raven Inverted system but I don't think that the problem is necessarily from the Raven system. It seems pretty normal.

The engine breather is a 1 inch straight nipple off the accessory case. Standard issue I am sure (size and angle). Which means the other end of the hose also needs to be a 1 inch nipple. I am attaching the oil separator to the right side of the engine like all of them I have seen.

An AN842-16D (90 degree elbow) is readily available for 15.00 or so but I cannot use that one where I wish to place the separator as it hits the mount. I would have to go further forward but even there I may be dodging the mount. So I want to use a A844-16D (45 degree) but it turns out that is a rare and expensive part. I found new ones (some old stock) from 243 to 50 dollars. I found some as removed by one place that had 39 of them for 100 bucks each and one place that had 5 as removed for 20 each. So I have one coming. But....

I ordered what seems to be the only hose choice (MiL6000D hose from ACS http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/mil6000.php?clickkey=7466) at 9 bucks a foot for the 1 inch ID. I have seen an older piece of this in the 3/4 variety and it seems flexible with an inner braided core and smooth exterior. The hose I received has a weird spiral cord on the outside and it has a very wide minimum radius as I cannot seem to get the radius needed without it attempting to kink.

I cannot believe I am the first one to have this problem. Is there a better choice of hose? Aircraft or otherwise. I have found this at Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ppe-515101036

any suggestions on this?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back