• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Bring an engine back to life?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanceav8r

Reaction score
I just bought a Pitts that has been sitting for the last 8 years. It was started about 18 months ago once I think.

I just pulled the lower plugs and did a compression check cold. 3 cylinders were high 70's, two were high 60's and one was dead. All the leaks were exhaust valve leaks. On the dead cylinder I took off the valve cover, with the air on the cylinder I tapped on the exhaust valve and the pressure came right up to 74+.

The oil was changed to new before I bought it. I put in a new battery. With the plugs removed I engaged the starter. The oil pressure came into the green after about 20 revolutions of the prop. I let the starter rest. I engaged the starter again and the oil pressure quickly rose to the green arc. The plane was buried in the back of the hangar so I didn't pull it out yet to start it.

I have had some of the old school guys tell me to put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and let it soak before I run it. I am not sure what this would accomplish. Is this an old wives tale? I guess this is a penetrating oil that would theoretically loosen some stuff up. I am guessing there is no service instructions that deal with bringing back an old unpreserved engine back to life.

I shoved a cheepo home depot borescope camera into the cylinder holes. I couldn't really get a good view of what is going on inside the cylinders. There might have been some pitting but I am really not sure what I was looking for and the camera quality was very poor.

Any advice would be appreciated. I plan to pull a cylinder but it will likely get ferried home first.

Latest posts

Back