• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Brush-on or roll on primer / topcoat for steel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fidot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Soo... No, this is not for an airplane; though I might consider flying this fridge: I think by the time Im done with it, I will have more hours in it than a typical RV :)

This is a 100% offtopic: but, I can't imagine a better group of folks to ask this question to.. Please bear with me.

Backstory: I have got my hands on a really good fridge with great bones; but it's 20 years old; and Im fixing it up. One of the problems was rust on the front of the actual "fridge"; on some spots of the surface that is contacted by the door gasket. See image at the end.

I am trying to paint those. Limitations are: I can't spray; and whatever I use can't be too toxic. Reason I can't spray is 'cause the fridge is.. well, inside my house :). Im trying to find a brush/roll on solution.

After chatting with a friend, bit the POR-15 marketing pitch and got some rust preventative coating and their 1-part topcoat.

Sanded old paint off. Degreased / flushed. Ran their "Metal Prep" which seems to be a soup of phosphoric acid and zinc phosphate to "etch" i.a.w. their instructions.

The actual rust preventative (I used "silver") went on beautifully, flowed and leveled off nicely. 2 coats.

Then, their topcoat (as they say, it can go over POR-15 directly w/o primer).

That's where the problems started.

First of, it was too thick (they tell you not to thin it for brush-on); and it didn't flow out: lots of streaks (I was using a simple disposable foam brush).

Second, two coats with ~2 hours in between (cure to slight finger drag) have now been sitting for 3 days with no appreciable gain in hardness over the last 2. I can still "dip" my nail in one of the strokes!

Pretty much sure at this point that Im taking it off, I tried scraping it off: and succeeded: it comes off in nice curly "chips" similar to that of a handplaned wood.

So now, Im at a point where I need to find a better coating solution.

Reason I don't want to just take off the botched coat of POR-15 topcoat and recoat: I could fix the brush streaks with using a roller, Im pretty sure; but the fact that it doesn't seem to harden is turning me off.

Can someone recommend something that I can brush or roll on, that would flow and level, and, most importantly, be resilient enough to handle door gasket closing / opening against it for considerable amount of time (say, 5-10 years); or is this pretty much a futile exercise?

Another question: should I be taking off the POR-15 itself as well? My gut feeling says that I should and just start from scratch if Ill be moving to the new "system"...

fridge.jpg

Latest posts

Back