• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

CEP Sytle Headset...My Version

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Researched communications issues in biplanes and the CEP style headset is by far my favorite.
Only problem is they're a little pricey for what they are.

I made these and put them in my HGU-33 Helmet, but they work for headsets just as well.
Since they are connected to the speaker in the helmet/headset, your helmet/headset speaker still works with or without the ear buds plugged in.

This is my version and it works very well. (not to mention way cheaper)

Components:

1) Skullcandy Ink'd Ear Buds: Because the cord comes straight out the back without the 90 degree support that most have. Headsets tend to pull those type out of your ear. About $11 for a set. I shortened them by overlapping the cord and heat shrink. Guess you could cut and reconnect.

2) Comply Memory Foam ear plugs: These are the same plugs used by CEP on theirs. These are the T-400 Model specifically made for the above Skullcandy ear buds. $16 for a set of three. Should last at least a flying season if not more.

3) 1/8th" Stereo Jack from Radio Shack: This goes in the helmet as the receptacle for the headphone plug. About $3.50 for a set of two.

4) 100 Ohm Resistor: This is to reduce the volume on the ear buds. Aviation speakers are typically 300 to 500 Ohm speakers. The Skullcandy ear buds are way lower and therefore very loud. About $1.75 for 5 at Radio Shack. You could use a higher Resistor to lower the volume further, or you could find a way to put a volume control inline.

I soldered the 100 Ohm Resistor across the left and right channels on the 1/8" Stereo jack to make it mono for the intercom/radio.

This works very well and way cheaper than the CEP set up.
The only other thing I might change is to find a 90 degree adapter so the plug doesn't stick out so far from the helmet.

I may have forgotten something, feel free to ask questions, suggestions welcome as well.

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg

Latest posts

Back