Color sanding

Discussion in 'Fabric & Paint' started by Skippy, Sep 24, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 24, 2018 #1

Skippy

Skippy

Skippy

Registered Users

Finally getting around to painting the wheel paints I built last winter. They will be black with white and red for the pitts paint scheme.

My question is should I color sand between each color ?

As In spray black, color sand then apply the white and color sand then the red pin strips and sand again.

Or apply all three colors and sand once?

Leardriver likes this.
  2. Sep 24, 2018 #2

taff

taff

taff

Senior Member Supporting Member

What paint are you using? if it's a base-coat/clear coat system then no sanding between colors.

If a urethane single stage color, then follow the data sheet, it usually states what refinish window you have without sanding.
    Also think about the dry to mask time, this could be a disqualifier to the idea of no sanding in between coats. You don't want to leave masking tape impression marks.
    Because there are multiple colors, that refinish window will close before you get to the last color. (That refinish window is referring to still having adhesion without sanding)
    If it is an alkyd enamel (no hardener enamel) then it could be a week before masking.
    Find the tech data sheet and find the refinish times.

Myself, If it is not a standard base coat/clear coat paint system (which should give about 20 minutes between application and masking for next color and 30 minutes before clear coat)
    I would let each color dry thoroughly and mask for the next color and then prep using a grey color Scotch Brite pad (use it dry) In between the masked off area and spray the next color.
    Use 3M blue fine line tape as your design masking, this is flexible and leaves a nice sharp edge to the stripes etc. and don't apply the colors too heavy or you will get a big edge step.

Larry Lyons likes this.