• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Convert Angle Valve to Parallel Valve?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Adam

Reaction score
Well, Chris and I have pretty well hammered out all the details on how to stuff the Angle Valve engine into our plane, and we can get it done – but we don’t like the result. We end up with 2 options:
1) Go with a cowl that we don't like (which we don’t want to do) or 2) If we stay with AV cylinders, we have to cobble up some combination of one off intake tubes (Vetterman said they could make them easily) which then defeats the tuned induction, but you’re still carrying the weight penalty (we don’t want to do that either).
So again, that leaves us with 2 options:
1) Trade the engine for a parallel valve engine (which we’re considering) or 2) Convert ours to a parallel valve engine. I pulled a cylinder last night to look inside and it looks great so I’d almost like to hang on to our engine since we trust it. So my question is to Point 2, can we just replace the AV cylinders, sump and tubes with parallel valve cylinders sump and tubes? I’ve done a little searching around and I was surprised how reasonably priced a set of parallel valve cylinders are. It also looks like you can pick up a sump for anywhere between $250 to $400. Plus, I’d have my angle valve removed parts available. At the same time the parallel valve parts are reasonable, angle valve parts are a fortune. Hopefully I can recover some (or all, or more) of the conversion cost by selling or trading the AV parts.
So the questions to you who have been there done that; Can we just swap out the AV parts/configuration for Parallel Valve parts/configuration?

Thanks in advance.

David

Latest posts

Back