• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Do not weld - sayeth Zeus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I swear, if I was Greek I would be convinced the Gods were telling me to not bother welding! The amount of petty hurdles getting in the way has become rather bizarre. No, I am not having trouble forming a puddle, or a stack of dimes seam - I can't even get past lighting the thing.

The hurdles:

- I bought a secondhand rig at a hangar sale, it came with a purox torch, but only one tip, which seemed to be damaged, since no matter what I did to it (cleaning etc), I couldnt get it to stop from popping, or to emitt a neat looking flame. So, fine I thought, just go buy some new tips (need more sizes anyways)...being an old design I had to special order and they took 2 weeks to arrive. Now I had a set of tips I thought, great! here I go...not. All the new tips had the same symptoms, so, 'something else then I thought..The O2 was showing 6 pounds ok, but i found if i went past that, it stayed at 6..ahh running out...I threw the bottle in the truck ready to deviate from the work commute the next day and exchange it. I got lost for an hour looking for the Airgas place because google maps/iPhone didn't tell me that this one had closed down ages ago :0|. As I finally pull up outside another airgas, the phone rings..I have an emergency at work, email server down. For those in I.T. this tends to produce a nasty sinking feeling in ones stomach. Of course, now its time to forget the gas exchange and get the hell back to work. As I pull off, the bottle rolls out the back of the truck! Obviously I left something slightly insecure :-\ . A few days later I am back at the hangar with the new refil..same symptoms. I then couldn't believe it when the acetlyene set at 5 pounds wouldn't go any higher :( , another refil. This time I had the bottle upright (good idea for acetylene anyways) and wedged against the cab passenger door by a box. I decided to exchange the bottle locally at a farm supply. The old grumpy lady dealing with me beckoned me to come pick up the new bottle from the array of bottles, as I did so, my foot went through a wood board they had placed over a hole, I went flying head over tit, knocking over a small wall, which in turn knocked over several bottles like dominoes. I think I've chipped the bone in my arm :0( . As I am limping back to the truck with the bottle, she says 'cash or check?' I say 'um, credit card?' she says 'cash or check' I say'debit card?' she says 'Sir, which part of cash or check don't you understand?'! At that point, I am hurting from recently fighting with a brickwall, so I gave up, got my old bottle and left. Finally got the bottle exchanged 30 miles down the road, went to the hangar and setup...same symptoms. So, that is where I am right now. Points to note are:

-very small tips works ok, like 00 and 0, as I try bigger tips, the flame starts to look worse, as if they need cleaning, the bigger tips just have a nasty lookingflamethat pops if i try to bring together the 2 flames.I have tried cleaning, filing with those micro files for welding tips, tried different levels of pressure, I even tried drilling one tip up a size, swapped the hoses and valves (luckily I have a spare set), removed the arrestors even, all makes no difference.

- I now have noticed a couple of old dents in the handle...could the dents be distorting the gases as they pass through the handle??

-I have given up, and am now resigned to buying a new Smiths Airline torch plus 3 or 4 new tips to match.

And no, I don't normally have this much bad luck and clumsiness....if I did, I would stop flying! (and building, for that matter)

Latest posts

Back