• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Dynamic Propeller Balance

buck_justice

MikeH
Reaction score
I bought an ACES balancer a while back and have done a few planes here in south Texas already. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to balance their prop/plane. I am charging $200 for the balance job, but I'm just checking for Free. Shoot me an email or give me a call if you are interested
Mike 2103304434

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wish you were closer, but really I am happy with what I have as it seems to be very smooth now. And no rpm variations to bedevil me either.

buck_justice

MikeH
Reaction score
Glad it is running smoothly. I bought this unit because I spend an extra 3-5 days balancing an engine before I put it together. It seemeds like a partial wasted effort to stick an unbalanced prop, spinner, backing plates and accessories on a balanced engine. Granted I usually get about 10% better out of one of my engines. But without the dynamic balancer you really don't know where you stand. I did a super cub yesterday that run like a top, but the first run was .22 inches per second which the unit calls "slightly rough" The running difference between .22 and .02 is a worthy endeavor. .22 is the lowest first run that I have checked so far. Seems like most pilots don't put much stock in it but I'm a believer.

TFF1

Reaction score
I use a Microvibe II mostly on helicopters; sometimes props. Free horsepower the smoother it is. I did a C150 just after the prop had been sent out to be overhauled. Straight static balance was about a .8ips; good enough to stir your chocolate milk. I checked a MT 3 blade and it was just about perfect. Told them all I can do is mess it up. Dealing with it all the time, I know pilots who cant tell a 1.0 from a .10

buck_justice

MikeH
Reaction score
You are correct on all counts, FREE HORSEPOWER. And less maintenance cost as an added bonus. It's really hard to beat. It is interesting to me why most pilots reject the idea. Even on this forum there is very little mentioned about the benefits of balancing

Latest posts