• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Empty Weight EAA Bipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Needless to say, there wasn't a lot of paperwork that came with my plane. Basically, I've got the ARROW documents (minus radio license...no electric/radio), "logs", and the paint color codes. While I'm saving for an engine, I'm trying to rework and upgrade the plane. One upgrade I'm looking at is installing an Odyssey 680 battery and a starter, plus a couple cigarette lighters to run my hand-helds. I need to know how this install will affect CG, and here-in lies the problem.

I have two very different weight and balances. One appears to be from when the plane was built, but there's no date. The second is from 1992. There's a 111.5lb difference in the empty weights. Here's the breakdown:

1st
mains - 769
tail - 54

2nd
mains - 888
tail - 46.5

The 2nd is noted as being done with the tail up in level flight position. The 1st makes no reference to tail position. There's no indication that the anything was added to the plane between the two W&Bs (there are no frills in the plane). If the total weights were the same, then I'd assume the 1st was done with the tail on the ground. They aren't, so I can't figure out the difference.

It appears the CG is for a tail-heavy plane (horizontal looks set up for nose-down flight) and I'm trying to figure out where to put the battery now.

What are typical Empty weights for these planes? Do either of the weights seem reasonable? The plane was completed in 1969 and the paperwork says it is P-1 model.

Thanks,
Chad
Edited by: Chad

Latest posts

Back