• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Engine mounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piwo

Reaction score
Hello!
On our Pitts S1c i discovered a problem which appears to be related to the engine mounts. (lyc o320 A2A) it started when the starting gear on the crankshaft scratched the inside of the cowling front mask during negative g flight at -3g (maybe just a tad more but never above -3.5g). so i figured the rubber mounts needed replacement. the old ones were quite soft and worn out and i was hoping to see a change, but the engine still moves a lot inside the cowling with the new rubbers installed. the tubes which support the engine are not cracked or bent, and when i jack up the engine nothing else moves but the engine . at the crankshaft there is approx. 1 inch movement max. relative to the cowling. is this normal and only the cowling does not fit correctly? from what i hear other people go as far as -4.5 without any problems with the engine biting the cowling...
any hints where to look at? would it make sense to adjust the engine tilt downwards using a washer on the top mounts?
is the engine mount the limiting factor for the negative gs on a pitts?
thanks for your ideas!
Christian

Latest posts

Back