• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Extended Inverted, Knife Edge, Up, & Down Lines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

an8pilot

Mike
Reaction score
Always great information and experience here. Have read much about fellas with zero oil pressure once in a while upside down.

What do the heavy duty aerobatic aircraft do to thwart the issue of the prop fluctuations for loss of oil pressure.

And what do they do to make sure the oil pressure and fuel is always there available on long extended knife edges and on a extended down line or up line or even outside 360 turns wheels to the inside of the 60 degree or more banked inverted turn.

Or just hanging there like Sean Tucker does.

I am imagining oil header tanks and fuel header tanks with swivel pickups, and what about fuel going out the fuel tank breather in just the right gyrations or upside down angles getting into the cockpit or spraying around where it shouldn't.

I mean, I understand how the simple type inverted Christin type oil system works (as an A&P), but I am looking farther than that like in extended knife edge and going straight up or straight down, and oil fluctuating at the prop.

(why I am just going to just go with a fixed pitch composite for now as some of the seniors made many good points here about fixed pitch composites.)

I understand about the holes needed to be put into the Lycoming upper inside of the crank case to let oil not be trapped between the upper end of the accessory housing and the upper end of the crank case forward of the accessory case rear crank case wall while inverted or negative G. I will get the holes machined on my IO-540-C4B5 case.

Latest posts

Back