• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Factors in fitting taller wheels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
One of my goals in my soon-to-be Charger build is to build a "vintage" looking plane (mid 20s to early 30s era). I'm thinking about what it would take to fit 16" (or so) wheels and skinny tires a la the radial Hatz Classic in Switzerland, which is an aesthetic inspiration for me (pictured below).

Obvious problems are finding the wheels, and finding the tires. That I can wrap my brain around. I would even consider making the wheels myself, since that's something I already know how to do.

What other factors would come up, though? Here's what I've thought of so far:

* Increased prop clearance (not particularly useful)
* Decreased visibility over the nose, but it's already impossible to see, so this seems like a non-factor
* Increased demands on the braking system (increased lever arm from the wheel)
* Increased tailwheel weight from higher stance
* Potentially increased empty weight due to heavier wheels/tires
* Maybe a lower natural "tail up" speed on take-off?
* Possible differences to landing procedure?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. I'll probably also model it in X-Plane, just to see what happens. I'll report back on the results of that.

I already know that I should stick to the plans, no need to repeat that advice. I'm just curious about the theoretical aerodynamic or ground dynamic forces on the plane with a change like this.

Hatz-Classic-Hans-Sam-Gautschi-25-1080x675.jpg

Latest posts

Back