• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Factors in fitting taller wheels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
One of my goals in my soon-to-be Charger build is to build a "vintage" looking plane (mid 20s to early 30s era). I'm thinking about what it would take to fit 16" (or so) wheels and skinny tires a la the radial Hatz Classic in Switzerland, which is an aesthetic inspiration for me (pictured below).

Obvious problems are finding the wheels, and finding the tires. That I can wrap my brain around. I would even consider making the wheels myself, since that's something I already know how to do.

What other factors would come up, though? Here's what I've thought of so far:

* Increased prop clearance (not particularly useful)
* Decreased visibility over the nose, but it's already impossible to see, so this seems like a non-factor
* Increased demands on the braking system (increased lever arm from the wheel)
* Increased tailwheel weight from higher stance
* Potentially increased empty weight due to heavier wheels/tires
* Maybe a lower natural "tail up" speed on take-off?
* Possible differences to landing procedure?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. I'll probably also model it in X-Plane, just to see what happens. I'll report back on the results of that.

I already know that I should stick to the plans, no need to repeat that advice. I'm just curious about the theoretical aerodynamic or ground dynamic forces on the plane with a change like this.

Hatz-Classic-Hans-Sam-Gautschi-25-1080x675.jpg

Latest posts

Back