Fastenal

Discussion in 'Handy Resources' started by Randy, Mar 21, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 21, 2018 #1

Randy

Randy

Randy

Supporting Member Supporting Member

A few weeks ago I saw a post where someone mentioned that Fastenal was a "best kept" shipping secret so I checked it out.
    I just shipped an engine from Michigan to Arkansas. Cheapest estimate I could get from the local shipping companies was $467.00 - Thats one way, double to get it shipped back :eek:
    Fastenal is shipping it for $175 each way. Now I am :)

The only catch is they only ship store-to-store but in my case there are stores nearby at both the shipping and arrival points.

Airplanebarn likes this.
  2. Mar 21, 2018 #2

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

I use Fastenal all the time. Store to store is great as they have about 2500 stores. My only concern is they last. Every time I go there there is two guys standing around and nothing going on. I shipped a Harley engine to Maine from Indiana for 125. Can't beat Fastenal.

3. Mar 21, 2018 #3

will moffitt

will moffitt

will moffitt

Will moffitt Supporting Member

Best thing in our town is the fairly new fastenal store. They won't break bags anymore but still cheaper for off the shelf standard stuff. For weird stuff the wonderful inventory system will say something like 3 in the Minnesota store, can be here Wednesday, no charge. I suspect they have their own trucks for supply and your engine is hitching a ride on an otherwise empty spot.

4. Mar 21, 2018 #4

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

"I suspect they have their own trucks for supply and your engine is hitching a ride on an otherwise empty spot".
    That's exactly how its done.

Airplanebarn likes this.
  5. Mar 21, 2018 #5

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

Dealing with them is a little screwy. I got a quote about shipping a 40 pound or less box, about the size of a 5 gallon bottle between San Antonio and Denton...low priority. Almost 80$. UPS two day was 21$.

6. Mar 21, 2018 #6

cashflyer

cashflyer

cashflyer

You can order less-than-bag quantities on their website, and pick up your order at your local store.

7. Mar 23, 2018 #7

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

I agree with KT, they are a wonderful addition to our town but there used to be two people in there. Now down to 1, she's cute as a bug but still only one. But they always have that odd thread tap, cap screw, or widget, I need.

8. Mar 25, 2018 #8

Dana

Dana

Dana

Cool! I've long known Fastenal as a source for fasteners; I had no idea you could ship stuff with them.

9. Mar 25, 2018 #9

SSkybolt

SSkybolt

SSkybolt

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I am still trying to sell the TailDragger Dragger, but I am glad you were able to benefit. Fastenal has saved me money numerous times on shipping, and they are always helpful.

Phil