• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

First Flights and Flight Testing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Basic Information

Flight Testing. So I now have about 15 hrs on ole N43475. The thing is fast and fly's straight! Actually very straight, either I am dam lucky or maybe I actually know something?

Oil pressure 90 @ 2400. fuel pressure 16, EGT 1200, Charge rate 14V.. 8 amps, Oil Temp 170! Most of these flights were conducted at around 50 degrees OAT

Cruise speed 120 MPH @ 2200 RPM, Stall speed 58 MPH, all indicated, with GPS verification, Steep turns and slow flight at about 60 MPH! Fuel burn @ 2200 rpm is about 12.5 gph 104 kts or 120 mph.

Rate of climb @ 2500 rpm 1500 fpm @ 120 mph indicated A/Speed.

Traffic pattern speeds about 110 mph and about 100 on final! It will fly slower but the nose comes up and it does not seem to be as happy?

Flight test weight has been about 1750 lbs pilot and fuel, C. G range is at about 1" Ahead of the L.E of the lower wing, Both vary some with fuel burn, and 9 gal of fuel in the wing tank.

Now that I have some real time on the airplane and it has not made me have to walk home yet! I wish to proceed with some meaningful flight testing, and would like some suggestions from those that have actually been there and done that?

At 25 hrs I plan on doing a real world condition inspection, checking out the inverted system, along with changing the oil and have it sampled! After this time I further plan on having my good friend Doug "AKA Stinson Pilot" explore the basic aerobatic envelope. Doug please chime in here?

Phase I Flight Testing requires accurate numbers for Vso, Vx, Vy, and

C G Location at which these numbers were obtained..

Further All aerobatic maneuvers performed during phase I need to be documented and recorded in the aircraft log books.

First Flight Video:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYACRXl8ZlA&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Dave

SAM_2571 small.jpg

SAM_2576 small.jpg

SAM_2583 small.jpg

Latest posts

Back