First Man

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Flying Ant, Oct 19, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating:

1. Oct 19, 2018 #1

Flying Ant

Flying Ant

Flying Ant

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was born 9 year after Apollo 11 landed on the moon but it strikes me as one of the greatest achievements in aerospace history.

Where were you when Neil and Buzz landed at the Sea of Tranquility?

Anyone who loves aerospace should go and see the new movie First Man. Read the book first though.

I wish I was a fraction as talented as Neil Armstrong.

2. Oct 19, 2018 #2

mjk51

mjk51

mjk51

Was at work... they shut down production and everyone went to the cafeteria to watch it on TV... July 20, 1969... 400 people watching a 21" TV..:confused:

3. Oct 19, 2018 #3

DaleB

DaleB

DaleB

Registered Users

I was at home, watching on TV, as most 8 year olds were that night.

4. Oct 19, 2018 #4

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I watched it at home.

5. Oct 19, 2018 #5

Timbob

Timbob

Timbob

I was in Ireland watching on B&W TV setup in the window so we could see it outside. It was a party for us young kids and we were all sleeping outside. Early in the morning...

6. Oct 19, 2018 #6

Dave Brown

Dave Brown

Dave Brown

I was 6 years old, sitting on the sofa next to my Grandad who was 76. It was a big moment for him. In his lifetime he had travelled to a new homestead by covered wagon, seen the first automobiles come to his part of the country and heard the news about the first airpane flights when he was 10 years old. He watched the flimsy flying machines battle overhead from the trenches in WW1, and now, in his lifetime he was watching what he thought was the ultimate flight...

7. Oct 19, 2018 #7

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

I was at an older friends house who was a native of my now adopted state of WV. His mom and dad were also there, they both were convinced it was fake.

I agree, not only "greatest achievements in aerospace history" but of history in general.

Angie likes this.
  8. Oct 19, 2018 #8

compjtc

compjtc

compjtc

Registered Users

I went into the movie with some high expectations. To be honest, I felt that the movie fell a little flat.

Overall I enjoyed the movie. I'll probably buy it and watch it again. But, I have a few complaints. I consider the lunar landings to be one of mankind's greatest accomplishments. I wanted a great "we overcame all adversity through good ol American ingenuity type movie." Instead I left thinking "Wow, Neil Armstrong went to space despite having a naggy wife." I wanted a movie about rockets, not some love story between Neil and his wife.

9. Oct 19, 2018 #9

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Hollywood production, No Thanks.

ssmdive likes this.
  10. Oct 19, 2018 #10

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nope...they want to push a globalist agenda on Americans for American triumphs...they don’t get my money.

ssmdive and smizo like this.
  11. Oct 19, 2018 #11

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I was at a friends house, with the whole family around the tv. Since I was living in Huntsville where the rocket boosters were made and tested, the capsule had the switches laid out, etc. It really meant a lot. The town virtually stopped. It was a very big deal here. Dad, worked on calibrating the gyros of the Saturn V and uncle was on the Test stand for the static firing.

12. Oct 19, 2018 #12

wanttaja

wanttaja

wanttaja

Registered Users

Well... the title was "First Man," not "First team" or "First organization" or even "First country." It was about one man's journey, both personal and professional. About a man who was probably the most famous man in the world, yet was so intensely private that little was actually known about him.

I thought it was a good movie, though I would quibble over the way some of the action scenes were presented. Showing them almost exclusively from the participant's POV made what was actually going on a bit less obvious.

If you prefer the "traditional" look that adds the technical and political perspective, I cannot recommend the miniseries "From the Earth to the Moon" too highly. It's a great, in-depth depiction of what it took...and the cost to the people who were involved.

The episode "Spider" (about the development of the Lunar Lander from the point of view of the lead engineer) is the best depiction of "real world" engineering I've ever seen.

Ron Wanttaja

13. Oct 19, 2018 #13

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Is this the movie that does not have the flag in the landing scene?

14. Oct 19, 2018 #14

Dana

Dana

Dana

Yup, which makes me a lot less likely to see the movie. They can talk all they want about it being an achievement for the whole world (and it was!), but the raising of the American flag on the moon was also part of the history, and a huge deal for those of us who watched.

I was 9, at our summer cabin where there was no TV. My father made an exception for this though, and bought a 9" Sony black and white portable TV so we could watch it. My parents sent me to bed at the usual time, but woke me up again when they opened the LM door and let me stay up until they planted the flag.

will moffitt likes this.
  15. Oct 19, 2018 #15

bipe215

bipe215

bipe215

The book is excellent

Herbert likes this.
  16. Oct 19, 2018 #16

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

The Neil Armstrong story I like best(from memory some time ago) was an article in a flying magazine.

The owner of a small airplane museum in Ohio was working in the cockpit of a P47(I think) one night(museum closed) when someone came knocking at the door. Slightly pissed at having to climb out(another old guy) he opened the door and found Neil with his grandson. He welcomed them in and went back to work in the cockpit of the airplane. At some point I guess he got out again and observed/heard Neil sitting on the floor under a P51 giving his young grandson a much too detailed understanding of the engine cooling system and how the radiator scoop system somehow actually managed to increase thrust........ Neil always the engineer. As I recall the fellow wondered how this young boy might remember that night and and how it might help him to understand all the more about the man his grand dad was......

John Beck likes this.
  17. Oct 19, 2018 #17

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

I found the story, better than my version.

Neil Armstrong: Knowing the Kid From Wapakoneta
    Martha shares her fond memories of Neil Armstrong.

By Martha Lunken June 21, 2013

big snip

...................................... But Paul Redlich, the museum president, chief pilot and mechanic, is still a good friend (I hope this doesn’t get him in trouble with the chairman and the board), and Paul shared this story, which I think says it all:

I was working by myself on the P-40 at the museum on a cold, gray, rainy Sunday afternoon last winter, with all the doors locked so I wouldn’t be disturbed. I’d been putting in 100-hour weeks for several months and was pretty burned out by the long hours and pressure to get the airplane back together after the accident. I’d lost the engine on a test flight and dead-sticked it into Clermont County Airport and, while I was able to get it on the ground, I ran off the end of the runway. The damage was considerable. So I wasn’t in the best of moods when I heard a tentative knock on the hangar door. Finally, I climbed down from the cockpit, muttering darkly about some armchair airplane nut looking for a tour of the museum. I stomped across the hangar and snatched the door open, ready to blast whoever it was with, “We’re closed. Read the sign.”

_ _

He was standing outside with a grandson who was maybe 5 or 6 years old, and although I tried to compose myself, he surely caught the pissed-off look on my face. Sheepishly, he asked if it would be OK if they came inside for a while. Apparently the family was visiting and — well, you know how it is — he needed an “escape.”

_ _

They wandered around while I went back to work, and, after about 45 minutes, I climbed down to get a tool. He was at the aft fuselage of the P-51, bending over his grandson, and I slowed and listened. This was a college-level dissertation on the Meredith Effect and how the converging ducting of the Mustang radiator scoop produced thermodynamic energy in the form of jet thrust that offset the scoop’s parasite drag — complete with sidebars on water cooling versus air cooling, lots of hand gestures, statistics on other WWII airplanes and how the Mustang turned the tide of war over Germany. This kid’s eyes were rolling back in his head — and, yeah, I was amused. But I also hoped that years from now he’d remember some of the information described so passionately and eloquently by his grandfather.

_ _

He was the consummate engineer, always keeping any feelings about his accomplishments to himself, and that made him, somehow, larger than life. He scared the hell out of me; just being around him made me tongue-tied. But he was always interested in our projects at the museum, and, after my P-40 engine failure, he put his arm around me and wouldn’t let go until I told him the whole story of the accident.

Well, like Paul, I was honored to have known him and call him friend. As the family suggested after his death, I think this is what he would want:

_“Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down ... think of Neil Armstrong, and give him a wink.”

Yea, it brings a tear to my eye again, Jack

_

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    John Beck and bipe215 like this.
  18. Oct 20, 2018 #18

wanttaja

wanttaja

wanttaja

Registered Users

The flag was shown, just not its installation. They also didn't show the plaque ("We came in peace for all mankind.")

Ron Wanttaja

Angie likes this.
  19. Oct 20, 2018 #19

Jerry

Jerry

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder - 176% completed

That moment in time... Sitting with the family watching it on the big ol' tv... Couldn't, wouldn't, didn't miss it.
    LOVED growing up during the race to space!

Angie likes this.
  20. Oct 20, 2018 #20

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Wait....... we went to the moon? I thought that was all made up????

Herbert and flyapitts like this.