• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Flying High In Colorado

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saber25

Registered Users
Reaction score
288scvb.jpg

View of the Sangre Range
2d8jsls.jpg

Cotopaxi and the Arkansas river along HWY 50
w0iec8.jpg

A happy aviator getting ready for return flight to 1V6
20j24c4.jpg

Pikes Peak seen across the flying wires at 15500

Hello Aviators,
My flight had two objectives today. I wanted to check out a high altitude landing at Buena Vista airport and get a XC fuel burn. Secondly I was interested in how the S1S handles at 15500. I followed the Arkansas river upstream which also parallels HWY 50 past Salida and then landing at KAEJ, field elevation 7950 with a DA today of 10200 making the pavement a blur on landing. I still have the occasional problem of the engine shutting down after landing on a hot day which is what happened. I need to shroud the engine driven fuel pump and wonder if I should go back to the original engine cowl configuration as this one is tightly cowled. After visiting with my FBO friends and letting Chica Chiquita cool down I returned to 1V6 via the Tallassee road which leads from Salida CO. to Fremont County airport flying at 15500.
Having recently reviewed Gene Beggs ‘ book on spins I remained high approaching home base and began at 13500 since our field elevation is 5430. I had plenty of room for several entries of three turn spins and the Beggs method works as advertised. He advocates 5000agl so all of my work starts 10000+ with additional consideration for DA.
Since acquiring this Pitts in late Feb. this was my first official cross country. Round trip time 60 minutes. She’s a fun lady to fly and attracts attention when she’s safely at the blocks, but I’m glad I took the RV4 to KSWT last week for that XC. The RV is like a Cadillac in comparison and the vast difference in flight characteristics suits me just fine J
Cheers, Hans

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back