• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Flying wire galling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying High

Reaction score
Since I've owned my S1S I've never been happy with the rigging so yesterday I took my S1 into a workshop run by the guys who is the local expert on Pitts.

He threw the rigging boards on and found the top wing had dihedral and the bottom ones had a little twist, also the top wing was not level. Then he put the tensionometer on and found that some wires in the same pair had different tensions, one was 650lbs and the other 1000lbs on both sets of flying wires.

So he decided to slacken all the wires and start again, that's when the fun began. The over tensioned wires were assembled dry (no anti-seize on the threads) and had badly galled. Lots of heat, cold and penetrating oil eventually got it out but now I'm up for 2 new flying wires and clevis pins. Of course they are non-standard ones as my S1 was built with 5/16 wires and clevis on both ends so to replace the clevis he'll have to cut holes in the leading edge to get to where they attach to the spar.

So the lesson here... well there are lots but mainly don't over tighten the wires and do lube the threads, especially on stainless steel fittings.

Luckily we found this before I had done anymore than light aeros so the wing is still in good shape.

I don't pretend to be an expert on these things but I'm pretty sure that getting the flying wire setup on these aeroplanes is pretty important, they hold the wings on afterall.

20120405_191307_Flying_wire_gal.jpg
Edited by: Flying Ant

Latest posts

Back