• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Custom Handmade Spark Plug Trays

Buster1

USAF/Bonanza Guy
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am making these custom spark plug trays...for WAY cheaper than the store bought versions...and they can be customized with your "N" number too!

$35 shipped priority mail! ($25 for all additional trays to the same address)

Easy to read numbers and letters.
Stout and solid, yet elegant and smooth.
Will last a lifetime!
6 cylinder applications as well as 4 cylinder versions!

Check out my website, fill out the form and email it to me and I'll build and ship your custom tray!

http://busterscustomtrays.weebly.com/index.html

Thanks for looking.

Buster1

USAF/Bonanza Guy
Reaction score
Hey guys! Haven't heard much from the forum in a week or so. Let me know if you are interested in any trays as we approach the holidays, I'm getting busy and down for annual (owner assisted) so order soon if you need a tray before the holiday season.

Thanks!

CAKevin

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ordered mine yesterday.

The one I purchased and returned from ACS had a typo in the engraving. One of the cylinders had two B's. Um...made in China?

Go USAF and Made in the USA.

Buster1

USAF/Bonanza Guy
Reaction score
Yours is almost done Kevin! You are officially the first Biplane Forum member to order a tray!

CAKevin

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I received my custom spark plug tray this past weekend. Beautiful craftsmanship, quick easy transaction via paypal and "Made in the USA." Much better than the cheap ones sold by ASC and others made in China.

image-1545609854.jpg

image-2318142640.jpg

Buster1

USAF/Bonanza Guy
Reaction score
Kevin,

Thanks! It was fun crafting your tray and I'm glad you like it! I hope to do many more for you guys here!

Nate / Buster

Buster1

USAF/Bonanza Guy
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm shutting down the woodshop for the remainder of the month! Today I start tearing down the Bo and on Monday we begin the annual. I'll be there all next week assisting and gettin' dirty!

Have a safe and happy holiday and I look forward to getting back in business for you guys in Jan!

Nate

Buster1

USAF/Bonanza Guy
Reaction score
The shop is open guys! Order your custom trays. Thanks!

Buster1

USAF/Bonanza Guy
Reaction score
I've got a bunch ready! Just need branding, whatever you desire! Can have them out the door by this weekend!

Thanks for looking!

Buster1

USAF/Bonanza Guy
Reaction score
New pricing due to additional refinements! The new trays are better than ever!

Patrnflier

Reaction score
How about doing a 14 and 18 plug version for those of us doing radial engines?

Buster1

USAF/Bonanza Guy
Reaction score
Great idea! Is this something folks here would be interested in?

I'll PM you as I'd like to see what ideas you have and maybe we can design something cool. Are the plugs the same size? I know very little about radials.

Patrnflier

Reaction score
Yes, the plugs are pretty much the same. The bases are the same. Some of the older plugs have thinner stems. Two plugs per cylinder.

Radials were made in 3, 5, 7, 9 and the Russian's do a 14 cylinder. There were multiples of the 9 to 18 and above. The most common in personal aircraft are the 7 and 9.

I always have wondered why plug trays are always two plugs wide and not laid out like an engine. Two by two or three by three like the flat engines. With the plugs in engine cylinder layout formation.

You also have the light sport guys to think about as they use a 10, 12 and 14 mm plug. No one that I know of makes anything for a Rotax, Jabaru or UL Power engines.

My thoughts on the radial caddy would be circular, laid out like the cylinders. The 7 could stack on top of the 9 like a lazy Suzan tray.

The Stearman and military guys with AT6's and such would eat these up.

As an A&P I see all of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Biplane Forum

Buster1

USAF/Bonanza Guy
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I PMd you my email address, shoot me an email if you have any more design ideas. I'd love to get some specifics!

To answer your question about current tray design. Part of the reason they are designed the way they are for flat 4s /6s, is that it is recommended that you rotate your plugs after every cleaning. Remove them and place in the tray as indicated, inspect and clean. When you are ready to replace them, rotate the tray 180 so the side lettering faces away from you. Now, forget the top lettering and numbering and work left to right replacing them in cyls 1-6 (or 4).

Buy using this method you get a perfect plug rotation per manufacturer guidance! 1T becomes 6B. 3B becomes 4T, etc etc!

Thanks for the great ideas!

Buster1

USAF/Bonanza Guy
Reaction score
Got some ready to go, and some of the new radial engine trays as well!

Buster1

USAF/Bonanza Guy
Reaction score
10% OFF ALL ORDERS RECEIVED BY MONDAY (26 May) NIGHT!!!

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!