• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Good Ol Tools... still to be had cheap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 220.45% completed
Reaction score
Working on the upper wing center section... the finer cutting of the wood. I've used my Harbor Freight metal bandsaw for rough cutting wood, but it ain't cutting it for cutting more detailed stuff. The "table" on it is flimsy to say the least. The other night I had it with the Harbor Freight bandsaw. Spending all that time close cutting the wood then having to file it down to size and getting it square was taking waaaaaaaay too much time.
Went onto Craig's List the next day and someone had just listed a nice BIG ol' Walker-Turner wood bandsaw (turns out the guy is a Mooney pilot.) Said I'd be over that night to take a look at it.

He turned it on and that thing purrrrrrrred like a kitten. BIG and HEAVY... came with a stand.

Picked it up for $100.00 (anything that could come close to it today would be well over $1000.00)

When I was there he asked if I was interested in a jig saw (the Craftsman I got back in 1993 cost about $130.00 and wasn't anything special). Said he had it on Craig's List for $125.00 with no bites and said he'd sell it for $100. Said I'd think about... on the drive home I thought about... as soon as I got home I sent him an email saying I'd pick it up on Saturday.

Just got back with it. It's a beaut ! It has a 24" throat on it. This is one old Craftsman. Not even sure of the age. The Walker-Turner is somewhere around 1953-56.

Anyways... Like Randy said years ago... keep an eye out for good older tools. I'd have to agree... they're worththeir weight in gold. And they ain't light.

The Walker-Turner has some surface rust (clean that up with some naval jelly,) but the Craftsman is very clean.

I saw a nice big table saw and a planner... said he'd email me if he is looking to get rid of anything else.

20100501_074752_Walker-TurnerBa.JPG

20100501_074822_Craftsmanjigsaw.jpg
Edited by: Jerry

Latest posts

Back