• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Health and Safety..welding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taff

In Remembrance 7/14/20200
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Carlyle said:
Years ago I had a neighbor bring me a Honda motor with a cracked crank case to weld up. He had cleaned it up very spotless but unfortunatly he did it with Brakekleen. It litteraly knocked me to my knees. I coughed for hours. It took me a few weeks to get feeling better. I use brakekleen in the shop but never near the welding table. Any residue on the table will stay there for weeks and if you weld on that table you will smell it instantly. It's a odor you will never forget. The catch all 4043 aluminum rod also creates phosgene gas. For those of use that have used 4043 it welds very nice and works well for a wide variety of aluminum so if we are not sure what grade of aluminum we have its a good option. I was told in college " don't use it".
There have been a couple of posts of the need ofprotecting oneself when welding. (tig welding aluminum thread)Started a new thread to maybe include this very important topic.What's the point of making an airplane if you don't get to use it!If you don't have enough fresh air or the imediate area is toxic from the byproduct of welding. Or if you feel distessed by the toxic fumes from welding. You may need to use a possitive air respirator type face shield. 3M has many types of filter cartridges for toxic gases.The 3M link showsthe types of darkening visor and respirators.http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Health/Safety/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LES9MG812H2000000_nid=46G84TLKHPbeF3RH7CD92Ngl

Edited by: taff

Latest posts

Back