• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Horizontal Stabilizer Incidence

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have read some of the other posts RE: this subject, but am still not clear as to the correct incidence that the horizontal stabilizer should be set at for the first flight? I think it will be ready by mid summer, however I would like to adjust the front ( H ) cross tube to as close as possible with the correct incidence as I would prefer not to cut into the fabric after it is painted . The aircraft is a standard Skybolt with the taller gear an O-540 B1B5 235 hp Lyc engine weight is 395#lbs, with the battery behind the rear seat and a Mc Cauley fixed pitch prop that has a 4" aluminum prop extension. The fuselage is pretty much finished through silver as are the horizontal , elevator ,and rudder , the fuel system, plumbing ,wiring, instruments are installed. The lower wings are ready to cover less L E the upper wing is where most of the work is yet to do. It is my understanding that with a tail heavy airplane some positive incidence would be required , however with the heaver 540 the airplane would be nose heavy therefore should require some negative ? incidence so if some of you guys have a good idea RE: this subject please comment Dave

Latest posts

Back