• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

How hot are you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saber25

Registered Users
Reaction score
I figured this would get your attention. My normal flight profile is climb from our 5450ft MSL field to 3000 AGL enroute to my practice area. Using a shallow climb gradient once out of the pattern my CHT will be around 350c measured at cyl. #3. Once in the area I spend the next 15-20 minutes doing mostly consecutive acro practice. Lots of vertical with loops, hammerheads, Cubans, vertical rolls and so on. My CHT will reach 425c and then I revert to some horizontal stuff at lower power settings till the temp comes down. Spins also help cool her down and then we resume with acro. I'm used to 285c on my RV4 which has a very efficient engine airflow component and I'm not used to seeing anything higher than 320c even on extended climbs in the -4. The Pitts has an 0-360 Dick Demars engine with 10.1-1 pistons. Two into one exhaust and PS-5c carb. I plan on redoing the engine baffling this winter since I can see room for improvement.
What are you guys seeing on CHT's in similar profiles?

Cheers, Hans

Latest posts

Back