• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

How I Rednecked a Wing Rotator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys, as i was drawing closer to painting my wings, I was paying close attention to the other threads on covering and painting. I was mesmerized by the concept of soft masking but lacking any real artistic ability i determined i needed a rotator to paint my wings. A quick check of the price thru wag-aero confirmed I'd be building it myself. :eek: Now i know some guys build some really beautiful jigs and fixtures, but i'm more inclined to build something on the cheap out of what is laying around here or the scrapyard. Keep that in mind as you read this.

To start i needed to come up with the ring that surrounds the wing. I thought about using a friends pipe bending machine and i was eyeing just about everything (and everyone) big and round i could bend a tube around. I wanted this to be quick as i didn't want another project. To me that meant find the ring already formed. For whatever reason it came to me that we have a cow feeder about every quarter mile around here. I claimed one that has 3 rings. I decided to cut away the top...leaving two rings with rungs between. I figured the two rings would make it easier to stay upright.

I posted a shot from Tractor Supply, but your going to find this cheaper on Craigslist if you have a lot of farming nearby like we do.

More to follow....

IMG_20170419_191612420[1].jpg

Latest posts

Back