• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

How To Start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
All -

First off, I hope that Beej is doing alright with his eye injury. Please keep us all informed...that is scary.

Second, I realize that we're all talking about pulling together a "how to" manual for building the Skybolt/Firebolt and I do mean to be patient to see how this comes together - the timing is perfect for me because I have been circling my wings plans for a while now and am anxious to get started. I've been inventorying what I've got in hand (acquired project) and re-arranging my hangar to make space for the construction.

So I'd like to suggest a topic that would be very helpful to me (Randy, take note): How does one start? I'd like to tackle an aileron; I have ribs cut out as per the plans. I have wing tables. I have the drawings (intimidating as they are). I assume I build a jig, lay things out on the table on, say, butcher paper. What's the first thing I glue? Should I practice using T-88, since I've never used the stuff before, prior to launching into this and ruining parts?

I'm still hoping to run into a builder here in Southern California who's tackled a project like this. I am based at Gillespie Field in El Cajon/San Diego and I can fly to any local CA or AZ airports if required!

Thx,
Colleen

Latest posts

Back