• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Indy's Waco

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatzdude

Reaction score
Ok, so as not to co-opt the Bi-Float plane thread, here we have the Indy Waco page.

waco on floats.jpg

Classic I tells ya!

But I'm not above re-using my (lightly stolen) photos though, to get us started.

waco invert.jpg
Large Titanium Clackers.... somewhere out there some fellow thought this was a good idea....

Any -hoo... this is mostly about an idea i had. As I am currently knee deep in My Hatz Classic build, I am (somewhat) hyper-sensitive to all things Hatz. So, it's not surprising that this particular Hatz caught my eye.

Hatz floats.png

That gets the ole idea factory cranked up! So, awhile back there was an ad on B/S for a Hatz project. It had previously flown but was disassembled for re-furb. All the big pieces were there, fuse, wings, tail feathers, and most importantly, flying wires. And all this available at a very reasonable cost. Could probably be had for the price of the wires alone. And we all know cash is king so maybe....
Then the "genius moment" (and no, I am not claiming genius status, as anyone who knows me can attest. I am building an airplane in my basement after all.) occurs. What if a guy picks up this project, sets up for the re-furb, and finds an old pair of aluminum floats? And then gets some streamlined tube? And welds on some attach points? And if he has some "extra" cash around? This is somewhat of a "thought experiment" after all. He goes out and buys a Verner 9? Now we got something. So now we finally get to the nut of this thing. What we need now is some "experts"! This place is loaded up with um. Self identified and otherwise! So I'm putting out a call for anyone who has ideas, advice and opinions about this. Yep Morgan, I was talkin about you. What do you know about floats? Cause I know bupkis. What are some good ones? How big do they have to be (1450 lbs gross wt) ? Straight up or amphibs? Hard to fab up attach points? Most importantly, how much? Would A hundred and fifty horse get it done? What sort of flying characteristics could one expect? And so on. I'm sure there are a lot more questions I haven't even thought about. So, like I said, so far this is just a dream. But at the start, didn't every single one of the airplanes we are all building now start out as "just a dream"? And it turns out, a lot of us have some spare time on our hands about now, so, what say you? In the end I think this would be a kick a&# biplane and would take the central Wisconsin fly-in by storm. I may, perhaps, be over estimating peoples interest in biplanes here, but who knows? Would certainly at the VERY least be a cool place to have the BPF Happy Hour when thy crank up the show again.

P.s. We could all put on our "water wings" prop open our coolers and have a BPF Happy Hour and Pool Party down at the Float Plane Base. Then steal some of the "servers" from the SOS folks (temporary loan?) to pour? Now that would set the toungs to wagin...

Ted...Ted... wake up.... it's time to go to work! But Auntie Em, I don't want to go to work....!

Latest posts

Back