• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Installing Christen Inverted Oil Valve and Slobber Pot at an Angle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several months ago, I angled my Christen inverted oil valve such that when on a vertical up line, oil is being supplied from the sump. I did not angle the slobber pot. Its still square to the world. Recently, I've been puking much more oil overboard than usual, particularly if I do alot of vertical stuff. It makes a big mess and its quite annoying.

I'm kind of wondering if I need to angle the oil valve the other way. Seems like the oil would all be in the accessory case on a vertical up line and because of that, it seems like I should be pumping oil to the engine from there. But, there won't be any oil there on a vertical down line although I suspect that there won't be any in the sump either. By the way, I am using the vacuum pad as the inverted oil pickup.

I'm also wondering if I should angle the slobber pot and the oil valve the same so that they are both in the same mode at the same time. Right now, it seems like I could have the oil valve in upright mode and the slobber pot in the inverted mode on an upline, if my flight path splits the angle between the two.

Your thoughts? How much oil do you guys dump during a sportsman level acro session?

Latest posts

Back