• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

It Could Happen To You

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As a subscriber for many years to General Aviation News many of the articles written are most helpful, and especially ones that have to do with safety.

The most recent one has to do with mag switches. The article suggests that one test his key type mag switch to insure it is operating correctly, but the sinister thing about this article is the position the key is left in where the key can be removed with the mag, or mags still hot! I usually leave the key in the switch on both airplanes, after reading this article, may not be a good choice! I remember back in the 70s when flying on the GI bill at an FBO that had a lot of Cessna's and most were pretty new, but sometimes the keys for one airplane would easily fit another, also many of the older C-172s the key could easily be removed in just about any position. I tried my switch in my SA-100 and found it could not easily be removed but it could be in the L&R position, and could not be removed in the both position! I had a new key made, and have not tried the other key yet, or do the same test to my SD Too, but will. It behooves all of us to be a bit more careful in making sure when we turn our mags off, that they are truly off! And not be so cavalier as hero pilots, especially with pilots like me in my golden years! Dave

https://generalaviationnews.com/2021/01/24/it-could-happen-to-anybody/

Latest posts

Back