• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Itching to buy a Pitts, but......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raphaelite

Reaction score
I have finally decided that if I wait until my Skybolt is completed I will probably not get to fly my own plane until 2020+! I want to buy a Pitts S1 C in the mean time and get in some flying and aerobatic time. I have noticed that there are quite a few flying eg's that are advertised for around $16000+. I live overseas in Shanghai, fly in the Philippines at Angeles City Flying Club, http://www.angelesflying.com, and would want to eventually import whatever I buy into the Philippines. Now I am interested in a Pitts S1 with an O235 Lycoming installed, but I can purchase it without engine and mount (I would like to install a sound but higher hour 320 B3 for some extra ponies). The seller informs me (and I appreciate his honesty) that the plane originally flew 75 hours in the 1990's, and was then decertified, and sold as parts. He says there was no accident damage, but it may have been decertified for 'liability' reasons. The seller's friend bought the parts 4 years ago, reassembled it, and the current seller and the friend flew the 40 hours to re-certify it. According to the seller, the plane has flown regularly since. Can anybody shed more light on why a plane would be flown for 75 hours, seemingly without problem, then de-certified and sold for parts??? I would really appreciate some further insight into this! For recertification, would the hours and checks have to be logged?

Latest posts

Back