• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

    The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Left Wing XI

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
6,424
Reaction score
1,306
Location
Austin, TX





<TD vAlign=top>Step cleats, spar shims, inset shows saddle gussets being clamped...


The wing walk was next on the list. The plans show that the 3/16ply sits flush at the top of the ribs. Because I have 1/16 ply leading edges which cause a step down to the ribs, I decided to make the 3/16 up from: 1/8 ply, flush with the ribs as per plans, then veneer overeverything including the ribs stations2 1/4<SUP></SUP>and 13 1/4with 1/16 ply. This flushes everything up to the leading edge ply.


A 1/4 x 1/4 spruce step was added all around the bay 1/8 downto house the 1/8 ply. The step gussets were then glued in place. Shimming was added to the top of spars, then the 1/8 ply was glued down with nailing strips. I decided to reinforce the rib at st. 13 1/4 with 1/16 sheets of mahoganyply [see pic],then the final 1/16 ply wasglued over the top of the bay. The underside near the trailing edge was given an extra 1/8 x 1 cleat to give some support where the alum' trailing edge meets the ply, this fitted great, because the 1/8 thickness of the ply allowed ittobe situatedpartly in the mouth of the alum' trailing edge creating one entity.


At the underside, the saddle gussets were added,I used a dremel tomake a clearancein the added 1/16 support for the aileron pushrod, drilled a couple of holes for the pitot-static tubes, then everything wasbrushed with Clearcoat, twice.








finished wing walk, inset shows saddle gussets...

Nailers...
 

Latest posts

Top