• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Light biplane from plans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingb

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I'll try to make a long story short, delaying further introduction of myself in the next message.

I'd like to build a light biplane. I live in Italy where there's the possibility to identify it as an ultralight, as long as its stall speed does not exceed 41 mph and empty weight does not exceed 660 lbs. These figures are intended for single seaters.

I'd like to compare various designs, selecting only among those who match the numbers above. The Smith Miniplane has been built here in Italy by someone, but I read that the stall speed is high (I saw a video with an Italian pilot land it in 180 meters!). A good one could be the Easy Eagle 1 Bi-Plane (I already bought the plans at Great Plains here). The problem is that, as far as I know, only the "n.1" is actually flying, owned by the designer, Ron Grosso (whose email no one can have). I really like this one and would love to build it, but I have no answer to one of the most important questions I'm supposed to ask: "how many of them are flying?". Of course I can ask no one "how it flies?". A number are currently being built, so I can only share info on the building process.

Before starting my project I have time, because I am practicing gas welding (thank you, Budd!) and woodworking, so I still keep my eyes open just in case something different shows up.

The characteristics I'd like my future biplane should have, in addition to the numbers above (weight and stall speed) are:
  1. Would not require a LARGE workshop. I have a two car garage... but in length: 12 meters x 3,60 meters.
  2. Suitable for first time builders
  3. Reasonably short take off and landing
  4. Decent cruise (I am not that demanding, anyway)
  5. Cute (ok, all biplanes, are, after all)
  6. Existing builders' community in order to exchange tips, mutual support, ideas.
  7. Not very demanding in terms of pilot skills. My flight experience is about 500 hours on a tricycle, low wing Storm 280. I have some taildragger hours on KR2S and Kitfox, anyway. You know, on a single seater you can't take the instructor with you.
  8. Engine should be a Great Plains VW conversion, or Rotax, or Simonini Victor 2. No exoteric custom conversions, Lycoming or big things.
  9. A number of aircraft currently flying and pilots who you can ask about it.
  10. I almost forgot: money is an issue, here. :)
Do you think I'd better change hobby, or there's something for me out there? Please notice that the Easy Eagle would fit in every of the above points except from 9!

What I really envy to you overseas builders is the possibility to buy an already started project :)

Thank you very much!
Cristiano.
Roma (ITALY)

Latest posts

Back