• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Lycoming accessory case

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 290 G converted engine. It looks like it was (mostly) converted correctly but I think it missed the vboat on a couple of details that FAA 462 paper mentions:

Although it now has a dual mag accessory case, it appears to have no ports for an oil coller andneither the enginecase nor accessory case appear to have a breather. It does have what appears to be a breather vampire tapped into the the oil filler neck. This does not appear to be stated in any literature. Maybe its intent was oil return for a separator. The 462 letter says that the 290 G used a breather where the vacuum pump would go but that was used to drive a B&C SD-8 alternator so from what I can tell, no breather (engine case was not drilled while it was apart). And although an oil filer adapter was installed, no oil cooler ports in case or adapter.

Newer accessory cases have both oil cooler ports and a breather near the mechanical tach. Since 320 accessory cases are a lot more common (several on ebay) and therefore easier to get, I am wondering if I can install a 320 accessory case instead. Also most 320's appear to have a prop controller port. Can this be blocked off since I dont require this fitting?

And lastly, anyone got an accessory case that would fit (with vacuum pump, oil cooler ports, breather port, mechanical fuel pump, dual mags, and a breather) for a 290?

Latest posts

Back