• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Lycoming sump inverted oil

Dennis Flamini

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sump setup for inverted Oil. Was removed for a cold air set up 150$ or give me a offer
We will take it.
i assume O-360
ship to ;
Dom Flamini
505 Navajo Dr
New Lenox, IL 60451
Advise price with shipping.
Dennis

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That sump is a vertical pickup for an early O-320. I've never seen this sump on an 0-360. Might want to look at the different parts manuals.

Aerosportcraft

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sump is a vertical pickup for an early O-320. I've never seen this sump on an 0-360. Might want to look at the different parts manuals.
Sumps bolt pattern are the same.. length of intake tube change all depends on your installation

jrs14855

Reaction score
Carb mount has smaller diameter bore. Intake tubes are smaller the even later 0 320.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
None of the 0-360's use that vertical pick up oil system. I could see where an O 320 sump AND accessory case (where the top of the pickup tube mounts) might be grafted on to an older 0-360 case assembly but I've never seen this done.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
O-235's, 0-290's, and a lot of the earlier 0-320's that went on the fabric covered Pipers had this type of vertical oil pickup. Later style 0-320's appeared to have the same sump configurations and horizontal pickup ports as the 0-360. Bolt pattern appears the same from older style later style but the later style finger strainer, the cavity that gets the ''acorn plug'' installed as part of the Christen inverted oil system is quite different than the vertical set up here.

Enclosed is page 3 of the Christen system book showing the conversion differences of the vertical and horizontal type sumps.

Attachments

jrs14855

Reaction score
I had a mock up engine with 0 320 wide deck case and the old style 0 320 sump. The case does bolt in place but the further aft location of the carb causes interference between the intake pipes and dynafocal mount. The smaller intake pipes and smaller bore of the carb mount will cause significant loss of power on 0360 and some Loss of power on 320. Small intake pipes are used on I0 320 with no significant loss of power. All I0 320 B and C engines as used on Twin Commanche are rated 160 horsepower. These are all aft mounted injectors.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The accessory case that uses the early tube style oil pickup will have these 2 bolts next to the oil passage.
IMG_6479.JPG

jrs14855

Reaction score
The old style accessory case will likely be configured for cam with removable gear. This can be identified by a steel "dish" riveted to the accused case. Companies like Divco can modify case to later configuration.

Aerosportcraft

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was on 320 wide deck. I rebuild the engine and put cold air sump on. Cam gear wasn’t removable

Dennis Flamini

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for update, my fault for not looking at your photos more closely but your cheap price for anything Lycoming looked so tempting!

N302JS

Reaction score
Thanks for update, my fault for not looking at your photos more closely but your cheap price for anything Lycoming looked so tempting!
Dennis, I have both vertical and horizontal sumps off wide deck 360s. The horizontal sump is rear mount servo type from angle valve IO-360 C1C6, and has a weld boss installed for christen inverted system. The vertical sump is off a Pitts S-1 that had a pressure carb. Also have the intake tubes for both. They’re taking up space in my hangar, can send photos if you‘re interested. I also have a Sky dynamics 4 into 1 exhaust for the angle valve That fits with said sump.
Mark

Dennis Flamini

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mark,
i am guessing you want more than $150!
Not sure which of the four IO-360's my sons have that need the sump but i will ask them to join in here.
Send photos to;
[email protected]

N302JS

Reaction score
Thanks Mark,
i am guessing you want more than $150!
Not sure which of the four IO-360's my sons have that need the sump but i will ask them to join in here.
Send photos to;
[email protected]
Have them contact me, I’ll work with them. They’ll most likely need the intakes as well. They’ve been collecting dust in my hangar.

Latest posts