• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Making stiffening bends in fittings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm putting together CAD drawings of the various sheetmetal parts in the Charger for eventual waterjet cutting, and I've come across this situation a couple of times, so figured I should ask.

In the attached drawing (white background) of part -201 (interplane strut fitting), on both upper edges, are bends which appear to be for stiffening the part. As drawn in the plans, the lower left edge line at the red arrow is brought up into the bent-up area.

I'm wondering if it would be acceptable to form the stiffening tab by making it more like the right-hand tab, that is, with a 1/8" radius curve into a tab at the lower corner, as opposed to continuing the lower left slope upward. The blue-background image shows approximately what I mean, with extended tabs to facilitate bending.

I ask because with the CAD system I'm using, it seems to be easier to make an explicit tab, to give the parametric definition system some sensible points to work with. Specifically, if try to continue the slope up into the bent-up area, the 1.5" spec for part width doesn't have a point to work against unless I add a confusing line on the bend line (confusing because I suspect it will be interpreted as a cut line by the CNC system). This CAD version isn't done yet, so concentrate your ire on the stiffening tabs for now. ;)

From what I can tell, it shouldn't make a difference, but I'm curious to hear what experienced builders think. Thoughts?

dash-201xcf.png

dash-201.jpg

Latest posts

Back